Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Helpful Advice..

I just had to print out blogger Kate Monahan’s Writer’s Digest online article on “10 Things My Creative Writing MFA Taught Me Not To Do.” I found them extremely helpful because I’ve come across some of these myself. For example, one of her “don’ts” is taking risks in writing. She writes: Don’t “Play it Safe. Never play it safe. Writing is about taking risks. About digging deep and uncovering the raw, sometimes painful pieces. When one takes risks in their writing, the words on the page are alive and full of truth.”

At a writing workshop I once attended, we were told to write “without fear.” It took me a while to figure that out. How many of us actually do that?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have read the site you linked to your entry. It is interesting to know that people are advised such a way. I have a suggestion that can help you to improve your entry. Read some more websites regarding the do's and don'ts of writing and then try to compile them using your own words. The way the link you have here presented it was simple and reader-friendly. I hope you can create one like that too, instead of including just one quotation here. The question now is, would you do as advised by me?